Saturday, June 16, 2007

 

Camino - The Best Browser for the Mac



I've been known to switch browsers quite compulsively since my first days on the Internet. I started with Netscape, switched to Internet Explorer, back to Netscape, then jumped on the Firefox bandwagon as soon as it came out. And of course I tried Safari.

I've always loved Firefox, but when a separate project started at the Mozilla group for an open source browser that was specifically made for the Mac, I was all ears.

The browser is called Camino. It has much of the Firefox guts in it, but it has a distinctly Mac look and feel. I like it. It's easy to use, eminently stable and seems to handle most Web pages with aplomb.

If you're a Mac user, you should really try Camino. It is free (aren't they all?) and it's easy to install. You can even import your Firefox, Safari or IE bookmarks.

The only big thing I miss from Firefox is the type-ahead feature in the Google box. That is so convenient. I'm sure Camino will be jumping on that soon too, probably when Camino 2.0 hits the streets. It's a good thing for them to build in, because it actually makes them a ton of money. Google pays Firefox everytime someone uses that little box and then later clicks on a Google ad.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?